The Marchesi di Barolo Estate encompasses approximately 430 acres of vineyards in the Langhe, some of the finest in Piedmont. The cellars are located in the village of Barolo, overlooking the magnificent village landmark, the Renaissance castle of the Marchesi Falletti di Barolo.
Vineyards were established here in the early 19th century by the Marchese Carlo Tancredi Falletti di Barolo and his wife, Giulia. The wine from their estate soon became known as “the wine from Barolo”, served at important diplomatic and royal functions. The Marchesi had no children and following the death of the couple, the Marchesi di Barolo dynasty was left without an heir. Per the wishes of Marchesa Giulia, a great philanthropist, the family assets were donated to charity and a non-profit foundation was created in their name, “Opera Pia Barolo”, helping the most needy of nearby Torino. Wine from their Barolo vineyards continue to be made and its sales funds the charity, which still exists today.
In 1929, Emilio Pietro Abbona, known for his Cannubi wines, acquired the cellars of Marchesi di Barolo and slowly acquired parcels of the Marchesi estate, piece by piece. Today, Marchesi di Barolo remains a family business. Since 2006, the estate has been under the direction of Pietro’s great-grandson and 5th generation winemaker, Ernesto Abbona and his wife Anna, who have inherited a longstanding winemaking tradition and a love of the vineyards and its wines. Flavio Fenocchio is the estate’s Technical Director and Dino Bevione manages the viticulture. Marchesi di Barolo’s historic cellar stores a library of over 40,000 bottles of Barolo, with vintages dating back to 1859.
Marchesi di Barolo is focused on the vinification of Nebbiolo, Barbera, Dolcetto, Arneis and Cortese – the most prestigious grapes of the Langhe.
The Abbona family controls a total of 430 acres of UNESCO World Heritage vineyards:
• 185 acres are estate-owned
-53 acres in the comune of Barolo including its most prestigious vineyards: Cannubi (11 acres), Sarmassa (8 acres), Coste di Rose (4 acres), Paiagallo (5 acres), and Ravera (1.5 acres)
-50 acres in other comunes in Barolo (La Morra, Castiglione Falletto, Monforte), 2.5 acres in Diano d’Alba, 5 acres in Barbaresco (Serragrilli and Bordini), 25 acres in the Roero and 49.5 acres in the Monferrato area
• 245 acres are farmed by family and friends (30+ year relationships)